collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 7
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Search

Author Topic: Injury Settings  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Txhorns

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
Injury Settings
« on: May 03, 2018, 09:31:57 AM »
I think we really need to take a look at the injury settings in our league.  We currently have them set at Low.  There is a Very Low setting or off completely.  I do not believe that the injuries should be turned completely off but I certainly think we should move to Very Low.  I simply think there are too many injuries in the league.  Our league is set a 100 years into the future, surely there have been some medical advancements between now and then.

I would be in favor of completely eliminating the storyline injuries, fucking muggers, though.  Right now it is rare for a MLB player to miss time due to an injury that occurred outside of baseball.  I realize it does happen, MadBum and Perez, but it's an anomaly when it does.  So why do we have multiple players missing time each sim due to these storyline injuries?

Too be completely fair let me explain where I am coming from as I may juse be really cused and overreacting...I joined this league in the middle of the 2104 season taking over what may have been the worst situation any organization has been in in our league.  It took me 5 years to rebuild and in 2109 I finally had a breakout season winning 97 games while having my entire roster minus a backup and 2 average relievers returning for the 2110 season.  Then I had a great offseason by adding 2 superstars.  (I credit that trade with sending Bob over the ledge into a death spiral of despair)  then for the next 3 years my young star players have ALL been desimated with injuries.  For the last 3 seasons I have been one of the 2 least luckiest teams regarding injuries.  Already for the 2113 season I have 3 starters and my top 2 relievers on the DL to start the year.  This has caused a ton of fustration for me but more importantly has kept me from being able to enjoy the league at all.

Now I understand that injuries happen in baseball, which is why I do not wish to see them completely turned off.  My biggest issue with injuries in this game is that OOTP seems to have way overblown the reoccurring injuries.  To me it feels like if a player in this game gets injured with anything more than a DTD injury then he is doomed for the rest of his career to suffer through countless injuries.  Just on my team alone I've had multiple players quickly go from either Durable or Normal to Fragile within a year or two.

Gomer has said multiple times that this should be a game of strategy, not luck, when discussing injuries.  I agree with him mostly.  That's why I'm proposing switching injuries to the Very Low setting.  Please discuss.  (Sorry for the length of this post)

Offline CaseyBlakeDeWitt

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
Re: Injury Settings
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 10:48:29 AM »
For my money, I'm pretty opposed to turning down the injury settings.

For one thing, you kind of lay it out for us when you call yourself one of the least lucky teams. You've been hit harder than most by injuries, and while that really does suck, I'm not sure it makes sense to change the league settings because of how luck has played out for a team or two (wow, does that sound heartless).

And secondly, with something like "this should be a game of strategy, not luck," I don't think that the two are mutually exclusive. Part of strategy is building depth to prepare for injuries as well as managing playing time for your players to minimize chances that guys get hurt.

I guess I'll also just throw out there that I have arguably the best player in the league (Ryan Hernandez who?) and I've watched him break down to a wrecked injury rating. I feel like it involves far more strategy now figuring out how to maximize the value I get out of him without pushing too hard, and planning for the inevitable injuries once they come.

Offline Gomer

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 03:27:40 PM »
I'm not gonna drone on regarding why I think this way, but I'm a huge minimal-injuries guy.

Turn 'em down, let the kids play.

If they're not gonna be turned down, I'd recommend replacing our injury file with a custom file, one which doesn't contain as many devastating and dev-wrecking injuries.
And Markus completely missed the boat with the injuries-begetting-injuries BS. The way a single injury affects a guy's proneness cascade in this game is infuriating.

I also think they need to be turned OFF for offseason and spring training.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 03:30:25 PM by Gomer »
gomer - (go'-mər) 1. an old demented noncommunative person who has lost the qualities that go into being a human
2. acronym for Get Out of My Emergency Room, often applied to an old person that takes up room in the hospital and doesn't have the common decency to die

Offline Claybor

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 05:04:01 PM »
one which doesn't contain as many devastating and dev-wrecking injuries.

That's the big thing for me. I don't mind the # of injuries, it's the numerous long term injuries that lead to more of the same. I also feel like the major injuries happen a lot more often to the better players, but that is just my opinion from my experience.

Offline Coop

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 05:43:11 PM »
I can see it either way, but if I've got to vote one way or the other, I'd prefer fewer injuries.  The main reason I feel this way is because injuries tend to spoil the fun, and fun is what we're here for.  It's no fun when your player gets injured, and it's no fun when another guy's player gets injured either (at least I hope that none of us enjoy seeing a fellow GM's player get injured).  Injuries are just a downer all the way around.

As an aside (and I admit that this isn't totally pertinent to the discussion), I think it's really weird that, when a pitcher in our league gets a serious injury which causes his skills to deteriorate, OOTP handles that by lowering the guy's Control rating.  Granted, when I played I was a hitter, not a pitcher, so I'm no expert on pitching, but it seems to me that when a guy wrecks his arm, he loses velocity (and sometimes movement --- the pitches tend not to have the same bite that they had before).  OOTP thus should handle these "deterioration of pitching skill" injuries by lowering the Stuff and/or the Movement rating.  I can't understand why the developers at OOTP decided to lower the Control rating instead.  Seems like a mistake to me.

Offline claphamsa

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 06:50:54 PM »
praise Jesus and lord trump...i agree with gomer. The injury amounts are fine....but there are too many whoppers.

Offline Echo127

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 08:05:54 PM »
I have no strong opinions on this matter, so I abstain from voting.

Offline Bob_Meteors

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 05:20:58 AM »
I think we should keep the injury settings like they are.

Just kidding.

Seriously, they're too high. I get that injuries happen in the MLB, but not to this extreme degree. I vote to turn it down more.
Manager:
Brisbane Bandits 2107-2108
Melbourne Meteors 2108-

2108 WBA Champions
2142 WBA Champions

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 08:31:35 AM »
I would be willing to use a modified injury file but I don't know anything about that. Would need someone else to research and find a good file and then have the league discuss it.

Offline Gomer

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 09:03:47 AM »
We've been using a modified injury file for years in the FOBL, and haven't had any complaints about it (well, except for the 1 wacko who LOVES ootp injuries).
We had a very similar injury crisis and major discussions/debates before finally compromising.

The same guy who could enlighten Huck regarding the ebay-style FA auction could also probably give him some info on the injury file.
gomer - (go'-mər) 1. an old demented noncommunative person who has lost the qualities that go into being a human
2. acronym for Get Out of My Emergency Room, often applied to an old person that takes up room in the hospital and doesn't have the common decency to die

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal