collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 4
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Search

Author Topic: Relocation of New York City Empires Announced!  (Read 691 times)

Offline philip-whiskeyjacks

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
Relocation of New York City Empires Announced!
« on: September 23, 2017, 01:58:32 PM »
After weeks of speculation and the field of cities being pared down to Vancouver, Québec, Montréal, and Kansas City, ownership surprised supporters and critics alike by naming Ottawa in Ontario, Canada as the destination of the erstwhile Empires.

When asked why Ottawa, owner Pierre Gastineau had this to say, "We just felt that it was time to bring WBA baseball back to the Great White North.  We want to be Canada's team and so what better place than the nation's capital - especially with the Washington Senators reportedly moving out of the U.S. capital."

Gastineau also announced the team's new name, the Whiskey Jacks and revealed the new logo and uniforms.  In addition, the full slate of minor league affiliates was announced as follows:  AAA: Québec Capitales, AA: Vancouver Mounties, A: Trois-Rivières Aigles, and R: Guelph Royals.

At the press conference announcing the move one American reporter asked, "What the heck is a whiskey jack?"

Gastineau replied, "Are you kidding?  A whiskey jack?  Gray jay?  Also known as the Canada jay?  Nothing?  Well, they're found all over Canada from the Atlantic to the Pacific, north to south.  The Royal Canadian Geographical Society started a vote to determine what might become the national bird of Canada since we don't have one yet.  That it is found in every province and territory, doesn't leave when things get a bit nippy, has a cheerful, but determined disposition - and that it's just a beautiful, if understated bird, all recommend the whiskey jack for elevation to status as our national bird and to grace our brand new uniforms.  The nation's team, with the nation's bird, in the nation's capital.  What could be more fitting?!"

Offline AndyHustle

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
Re: Relocation of New York City Empires Announced!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 02:02:54 PM »
This is great. The only thing is that I'm pretty sure Vancouver is where my AAA team is.

EDIT: Oh man. This is awkward. It must have never got changed after I moved.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 02:06:42 PM by AndyHustle »

Offline APMP

• Team Owner
  • See ball, hit ball, home run.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 07:15:46 PM »
This is great. The only thing is that I'm pretty sure Vancouver is where my AAA team is.

EDIT: Oh man. This is awkward. It must have never got changed after I moved.
Vancouver big enough for two minor league teams?

Offline Bob_Meteors

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 08:16:35 PM »
Uh... why are all of Andy's minor teams in Florida? Something about when he took over the team?

Also, quick note. According to the Constitution of the WBA, all minor league teams must play in the same country as their parent. So Vancouver wouldn't actually be legal for NW.
Manager:
Brisbane Bandits 2107-2108
Melbourne Meteors 2108-

2108 WBA Champions
2142 WBA Champions

Offline philip-whiskeyjacks

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 11:29:10 AM »
The Whiskey Jacks are very sympathetic to the Emeralds' situation.  After all, who would ever want to leave Vancouver.  But rules are rules, and Mr. Gastineau offers whatever assistance may be necessary to help the Emeralds organization leave British Columbia.

But wait - isn't Sarasota below the 49th parallel - by quite a few miles?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal