collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 14
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Search

Author Topic: 4!!! Additions to the Rio Hall of Fame  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Echo127

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
4!!! Additions to the Rio Hall of Fame
« on: September 20, 2021, 08:21:08 PM »
First up, the GOAT: SP Gaudencio Bobadilha. By the time he arrived in Rio de Janeiro via Free Agency at age 33, he had already had a full career and was a near-lock for the WBA HoF. But he wasn't done yet. Boba spent 10 fantastic seasons in Rio, with the highlight being his 2128 season in which he led the league in ERA (2.79) at age 41. Boba is the WBA career leader in innings pitched and he was briefly the leader in career WAR by a pitcher (ballpark factor changes stole it from him immediately after he earned it - maybe he'll get it back one day). Boba's career ERA of 3.04 is the lowest of any qualified starting pitcher.

Next up, a truly dominant offensive threat: Jorge Tapia. Like Bobadilha, Tapia was already a star before arriving in Rio. Humble-and-handsome Hall of Fame GM Echo127 recognized Tapia's immense talent, and sent off a 1st-and 2nd round draft pick along with star RF Juliano Barrantes in a 3-way trade to bring Tapia to the Jaguars. At his peak, Tapia would put up OBPs well above .400--for 10 straight seasons (from age 22 thru 31) he put up an OBP of .390 or better. His peak season came in 2121 when he put up a slash line of .376/.478/.567. Tapia never had great defensive range, but his outstanding arm kept him a viable option in RF through age 38. Tapia is the Rio franchise career leader in WAR.

The third inductee might be a bit of a faux pas, as he's still active (and pitching well!) but it would be kinda awkward if all his longterm teammates were getting in while he's made to wait... so congratulations, CL Kumanosuke Shimizu! Unlike the previous 2, Shimizu spent his entire major league career in Rio. He was drafted by Manila in 2113 and traded to the Jaguars the next. Shimizu has spent his career alternating between true-closer and stopper/miscellaneous-high-leverage-out-getter. Shimizu is 2nd in career pitching WAR for Rio (behind only the also-inducted Gaudencio Bobadilha), and is the Rio franchise leader in Saves, K's, Games Pitched, and, at least for this moment, WHIP (he's got a very tenuous lead over all-time great CL Justin White). Kumanosuke's career 2.55 ERA is the second-best in WBA history (among qualified pitchers), trailing only the aforementioned Justin White.

Tonight's 4th and final inductee is one that I, to my great shame, overlooked: 3B Ricardo Peralta. Ricardo Peralta was elected to the WBA Hall of Fame in 2129, and it wasn't until recently that I realized he did so in a Rio cap!!! Peralta was an all-around great player - he could defend, he could hit, and he could even steal a base on occasion. Peralta was a journeyman, playing for 6 different teams, winning 3 silver sluggers and 2 gold gloves. In 2118 he won an MVP and a World Series as a Jaguar.

I'd also like to highlight three honorable-mentions:
1B Luis Martinez - A player who came up through the Rio system as a 2B, but was converted to 1B shortly after arrival in the Majors. A somewhat atypical 1B, Martinez is 3rd in career SB by a first baseman.
SP Tony Reyes - The WBA's greatest control pitcher, and a threat at the plate, too. Reyes is the WBA career leader in BB/9 (1.17... next best is 1.42). Reyes hit .285 for his career and won one silver slugger - would've won many more, but often failed to pitch enough innings to qualify.
LF Nelson Ackland - Longtime nightmare-fuel for Jake "Dan Farnell", Ackland's career numbers are surprisingly not that impressive. He was very good for a long time, but rarely elite. I think he gets in eventually, but I gotta let it simmer.

--------------

Bobadilha, Tapia, Shimizu, and Peralta join:

1B Ze Vargas,
2B Ricardo Ramirez,
3B Ernesto Colon,
SS Piero Folena,
CL Justin White,
SP Bob Turner,
1B/2B Alfredo Ruiz.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal