collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 29
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Search

Author Topic: Amateur Draft Settings  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Amateur Draft Settings
« on: January 30, 2018, 11:35:44 AM »
The slightly outdated constitution says the following about the annual amateur drafts (I've added notes in bold italics and will discuss possible changes below):

B. Amateur Draft

1. Draft order will be determined in-game by the OOTP software.

2. The amateur draft date is set for March 1st each subsequent year and the draft pool reveal is set for 200 days before the draft. This allows the maximum amount of time possible to run the draft via OOTPOU during the offseason. We actually run it in Stats+ now and I set the reveal date for whatever makes it happen as soon as possible after the season is over, I think that's around 140 days right now.

3. The WBA Amateur Drafts will be league-specific. Draft order, pools, and selections are limited to each league individually (Americas League and Intercontinental League), i.e., there is no shared association draft.

4. The draft pool origin settings have been set so that players in each league draft are only from that league's nations. The percentages are based on a commissioner-determined combination of nation population and baseball quality. The origin percentages are now modified based on the number of team seasons each nation has had in the WBA over the preceding 8 years. This started being done after the WBA Cup came into being so that GMs could hopefully have a team in that tournament from their team's nation.

5. Amateur drafts will be 20 rounds long and the game has been set to generate players for 24 rounds.

6. Draft timer specifics will be announced on the forum prior to the draft being opened in OOTPOU. Stats+

So, here are some thoughts on changes.

• The first is to #1. I would like to define draft order, including tiebreakers, in the constitution so that I can load the draft into Stats+ as soon as the regular season ends and the pool is revealed. The draft would not be active until after the playoffs, but doing this would allow GMs to start working on their draft lists immediately. The tiebreakers for draft position would be head-to-head record and then a random number generator in that order.
  • I would change #2, #4, and #6 in accordance with what we're actually doing now.

Any thoughts or concerns with any of these proposed changes?

Offline Txhorns

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
Re: Amateur Draft Settings
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 11:49:46 AM »
As far as draft order and tiebreakers go I think head to head is good.  The 2nd tiebreaker in my opinion should be the prior year's record.

For instance Shanghai and tied this year (2111) for the 2nd pick.  Let's say our head to head was even as well.  Then order should be based off the 2110 record of each team.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 11:50:37 AM »
Not a bad idea. And I like the sense of fairness considering that would put you behind Shanghai this year.  ;)

Offline squaredrive

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 12:12:06 PM »
I'm on board with the change.

Offline Claybor

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 05:27:09 PM »
Looks good.

Offline Gomer

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 06:16:58 PM »
The sooner we can draft, the better.

Make it so.
gomer - (go'-mər) 1. an old demented noncommunative person who has lost the qualities that go into being a human
2. acronym for Get Out of My Emergency Room, often applied to an old person that takes up room in the hospital and doesn't have the common decency to die

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 09:36:47 AM »
Okay, given there are no disagreements so far I intend to revise the constitution this evening to address this. If someone has a really good reason this shouldn't be done, let me know. Just realize that although the drafts will be loaded into Stats+ so people can prepare lists, etc., draft picks won't start being due until a day or two after the final game is played.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 01:17:28 PM »
ABL Draft Order:

1. Santo Domingo Palmchats, 56-100
2. Carolina Flight, 63-93
3. Los Angeles Stars, 68-88
4. Ottawa Whiskey Jacks, 76-80
5. Sao Paulo Toucans, 77-79
6. Puerto Rico Coqui, 78-78
7. Rio de Janeiro Jaguars, 87-69
8. Mexico City Aztecs, 89-67
9. Buenos Aires Dolphins, 93-63*
10. Northwest Emeralds, 93-63*

* - Buenos Aires gets the 9th pick in the first round by virtue of fewer 2110 wins. After the 1st round the teams will alternate the 9th and 10th picks in each round.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 01:20:16 PM »
IBL Draft Order:

1. Paris Fleur-de-Lis, 46-110
2. Shanghai Sharks, 72-84*
3. Rome Generals, 72-84*
4. Manila Folders, 74-82
5. Mumbai Cobras, 75-81
6. Melbourne Meteors, 80-76
7. Barcelona Bulls, 86-70
8. Karachi Falcons, 89-67
9. Black Forest Foxes, 91-65
10. London Monarchs, 95-61

* -  Shanghai gets the 2nd pick in the first round by virtue of fewer 2110 wins. After the 1st round the teams will alternate the 2nd and 3rd picks in each round.

Offline Claybor

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 02:27:55 PM »
Perhaps playoffs should be taken into account.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 02:29:46 PM »
Unfortunately the idea is to get the draft loaded into Stats+ during the playoffs so we can start drafting shortly after they finish. Another tough break for our two #1 seeds this season.

Offline Claybor

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 10:17:27 PM »
Ok, but regardless of this season I think it would be the fairest thing. You get very little for winning the regular season (Although more in this league then others.) and the playoffs are what it's all about. I much prefer fairness over speed of draft.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 01:10:32 PM »
Fair enough, definitely something that can be discussed. And now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever tried to input the draft prospects without the draft order in Stats+, I may have been thinking of it not being possible in the old utilities.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal