collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 3
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Search

Author Topic: 2104-2105 Offseason Thread  (Read 6587 times)

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
2104-2105 Offseason Thread
« on: July 27, 2016, 07:14:42 AM »
This is the thread for all discussion of offseason activities during the 2104-2105 offseason.  This first post will be updated throughout the offseason and will also include links to other threads or amendment votes that come up during this time.

Next sim through Monday 4/6/2105 is Friday 8/19, exports due by 9:00 pm.

Upcoming Sim Schedule:

Sim Date - Activities to complete before sim - Game dates simmed (In-game events)

Friday 8/19 - Organize all rosters in organization, set lineups and staffs for opening day - Sim to Monday 4/6/2104 (First Regular Season Sim)

After the Friday 8/19 sim we move back to our Su-Mo-We-Fr regular season sim schedule.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 08:11:42 PM by Huckleberry »

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 2104-2105 Offseason Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 07:30:25 AM »
Tokyo's move to Brisbane will be completed once the date rolls past January 1st in-game.  That way the history section will show Tokyo Samurai for the 2104 season.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 07:37:33 AM »
A little more info on the draft as there have been some questions.

• The draft pool is available in-game and on the website right now.  Go to your league page in the HTML reports and then click on the Rookie Draft Pool links in the right menu.
  • I have loaded the draft in the OOTP Utilities this morning.  It wasn't up there last night, but is now.
  • The draft begins in the utility once the game rolls to or past January 1st.  This helps with history, although it's still buggy in the utility.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 07:51:57 AM »
I've updated the budgets and starting cash on the financial report pages.  Obviously the projected numbers and expenses/revenue are off so don't pay attention to those.  For example the expenses just got reset as we went to the offseason but the revenue still shows 2104 numbers.

http://www.worldbaseballassociation.com/financials.php
http://www.worldbaseballassociation.com/forum/index.php?page=financialbrief

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 05:54:28 PM »
There's something going on with the draft.  There are roughly 400 players eligible according to the utilities for each league.  Only 240 are showing in-game.  Has anyone seen this in one of their leagues before?

I am inclined to simply run the draft via the utility but my concern is that when I import the results the proper players won't be drafted.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 05:58:31 PM »
Take this guy for example:

http://www.worldbaseballassociation.com/reports/news/html/players/player_1307.html

That name sounds familar, but his history says he was undrafted last year.  There's no way a guy with those ratings goes undrafted.

To make it even weirder he shows up on the HTML reports in the Rookie Draft Pool but not in the game.  Screw it, they're all eligible for the draft if they're in the utilities.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 06:02:28 PM by Huckleberry »

Offline Echo127

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 06:19:50 PM »
Hmmm...when I checked into the draft utilities last night (before they were updated) he was one of the 4 left on my draft board after last year's draft. So he did exist. Maybe he improved over the off season? Or OOTP17 changed potential ratings for young guys?

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 06:37:46 PM »
Hmmm...when I checked into the draft utilities last night (before they were updated) he was one of the 4 left on my draft board after last year's draft. So he did exist. Maybe he improved over the off season? Or OOTP17 changed potential ratings for young guys?

Good to know.  Maybe he just hit the HGH during his year at JUCO or something.

Offline Coop

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 06:43:14 PM »
Whatever he took, I want some of it.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 12:21:06 PM »
Tampa Bay has a new owner who has successfully exported.

Milwaukee is now open.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 10:43:53 AM »
Because Milwaukee does not currently have an owner, I am going to process the offseason weeks as follows (this will apply any time a team is being run by the AI):

• Switch teams without owners to AI control for free agents.
  • Sim one day.
  • Switch teams without owners back to human control.
  • Sim the remaining 6 days.

This will make sure that AI run teams don't turn to crap during free agency but also that they don't have the advantage of reacting every day to free agent feedback while human teams are forced to react only once a week.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 07:16:48 AM »
A note on the draft.  One of the reasons we don't start drafting until after January 1st in-game is because the utility thinks this is the 2104 draft right now.  I forgot that when I set it up in the utility.  I will have to reset the draft and start over once we're in 2105 in-game.

So contrary to what was said earlier do not make any picks until after Saturday's sim.

Offline capn81

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 02:53:21 PM »
Help a newbie with how to do the picks...

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 02:59:42 PM »
Once you're in the draft utility you can add players to your draft list by clicking the green cross to the left of their name on the player list.  KEEP IN MIND THAT YOUR DRAFT LIST MIGHT GET DESTROYED WHEN I RESET THE DRAFT SATURDAY NIGHT SO PLEASE COPY IT SOMEWHERE SO YOU CAN REDO IT.

On the upper left of the main draft screen are the preferences.  They are listed in priority.

Auto-draft means the computer will pick for you.  I highly advise everyone not to do this unless it's late in the draft and they don't care anymore.  I set the system to the lowest setting for auto-picks, meaning that it will occasionally make terrible picks especially early in the draft.

Auto-draft using draft List means the computer will instantly use your draft list to pick as soon as it's your turn.  If you have a list you like, please use this setting as it speeds things up.  If your time expires I believe it automatically triggers this setting.

Use List if time expires means exactly what it sounds like.  I use this in the first 2 or 3 rounds to make sure I like my pick.  Then later in the draft I move to auto-draft using the list.

To actually make a pick manually it has to be your turn in the draft.  When it's your turn a message in bold red font will appear at the top of draft info area telling you as much.  Additionally blue arrow looking icons will appear next to each player's name.  Clicking that will bring up an "are you sure?" message.

I will conclude with another reminder that I am resetting the draft on Saturday night.  Do not draft yet.

Offline capn81

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2016, 07:34:01 AM »
Thanks.  I will be gone starting today in a few hours and I am not scheduled to return until Monday.  Will I just be autodrafted? 

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2016, 08:57:29 AM »
Thanks.  I will be gone starting today in a few hours and I am not scheduled to return until Monday.  Will I just be autodrafted?

You will be after your first pick.  Since you have the first pick if you make a list of 21 players you should be fine.  I think it's pretty unlikely we get all the way through 3 rounds in the first day although it's possible.  The first round goes very slowly as everyone gets the 3 hour clock before they get put on auto.

Offline APMP

• Team Owner
  • See ball, hit ball, home run.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2016, 05:07:11 PM »
Unless they select auto draft beforehand

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2016, 09:14:05 PM »
Draft is now live.  Unfortunately as feared the utilities obliterated draft lists (or at least it did mine) so if you'd done one it will have to be redone.

Offline Coop

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2016, 09:18:35 PM »
Yeah, it obliterated mine too.

Offline Echo127

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2016, 09:44:34 PM »
Ugh...the OOTP update may have messed something up. For me at least.  I *haven't* updated OOTP yet.  I got an error message when downloading the new league file.  After doing so, the in-game date for me is still December 29 2014, but when I try to download the league file again it says I've already got the latest. 

I'm downloading the OOTP update now...will try to download the new league file again in the morning, once my update is downloaded.

Anyone else having trouble, or is it just me?

Offline Claybor

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2016, 10:12:39 PM »
Same everything.

Offline Karachi_GM

• Former Owner
  • GM, Karachi Falcons
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2016, 04:21:27 AM »
Ditto
It downloaded, then said there was a problem with world.dat and reverted to old file date.
Joe
GM, Karachi Falcons

Offline Echo127

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2016, 08:26:19 AM »
Updating OOTP seems to have fixed it

When first encountering the error, I allowed OOTP to make the *incident report* folder that it suggested. (At least that's how I remember it happening.)

After updating OOTP...
1. Navigate to ...OOTP 17\data\saved_games\World Baseball Association.lg\incident_{your download date}
2. At this location, the "dat" folder contains the new files you want to use.  The "auto-save" folder contains the old files (which you are currently using).
3. Copy the contents of the "dat" folder into ...OOTP 17\data\saved_games\World Baseball Association.lg, overwriting the .dat files that are already there.
4. Start up your game and you should be good to go. If you're still getting an error, you should be able to copy the contents of the"auto-save" folder back into ...OOTP 17\data\saved_games\World Baseball Association.lg to revert to the December 29 game state (but that won't be helping you get anywhere)
5. If you don't have the "incident" folder someone else needs to help you ;-).  I don't know if there's a way to manually download the league update files.

P.S. If someone more experienced in OOTP than me sees a red flag in my steps above, that might cause more troubles, please speak up.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2016, 08:28:25 AM »
I just reloaded the league file. Someone please try again and let me know.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2016, 08:29:00 AM »
Updating OOTP seems to have fixed it

When first encountering the error, I allowed OOTP to make the *incident report* folder that it suggested. (At least that's how I remember it happening.)

After updating OOTP...
1. Navigate to ...OOTP 17\data\saved_games\World Baseball Association.lg\incident_{your download date}
2. At this location, the "dat" folder contains the new files you want to use.  The "auto-save" folder contains the old files (which you are currently using).
3. Copy the contents of the "dat" folder into ...OOTP 17\data\saved_games\World Baseball Association.lg, overwriting the .dat files that are already there.
4. Start up your game and you should be good to go. If you're still getting an error, you should be able to copy the contents of the"auto-save" folder back into ...OOTP 17\data\saved_games\World Baseball Association.lg to revert to the December 29 game state (but that won't be helping you get anywhere)
5. If you don't have the "incident" folder someone else needs to help you ;-).  I don't know if there's a way to manually download the league update files.

P.S. If someone more experienced in OOTP than me sees a red flag in my steps above, that might cause more troubles, please speak up.

Never even heard of such a thing.  Good work.  Hopefully the reloaded league file works for others.

Offline claphamsa

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2016, 08:55:09 AM »
I patched, ,and it  instantly worked.

Offline Karachi_GM

• Former Owner
  • GM, Karachi Falcons
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2016, 06:41:49 AM »
I patched, ,and it  instantly worked.
Me too
And getting the new OOTP file on hotel internet was a struggle.
Joe
GM, Karachi Falcons

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2016, 02:33:56 PM »
So given that the vote to speed up the simulation schedule is basically a lock to be rejected, does anyone think discussing playoff qualification is worth it?  My concern, as always, is maintaining participation in the league.  My initial thought is to add a 3rd wild card team, so a 5th playoff team, in each league.  Then have the #4 and #5 seeds play a first round game or series while the division winners and #1 wild card get a bye.

My thinking is that making it to where half the teams make the playoffs may be beneficial to league participation and owners sticking around in a sim league with a slower sim schedule.  In a fast sim league owners are willing to wait out their rebuild for more seasons because the next season comes more quickly.  But by adding a playoff team we make the rebuild, as far as making the playoffs, have a better chance of going more quickly.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Offline Coop

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2016, 03:38:41 PM »
I'm in a rebuilding mode but I don't really want to see the playoffs expanded.  It would cheapen them.  I'm willing to be patient and earn my way into the playoffs.

I do agree however that I'd like to see GMs stick around longer.  I enjoy this league, even though my team isn't a contender, and it baffles me that so many people keep leaving.  I was in favor of a faster sim, partly because I think that would help keep non-playoff owners interested, but that got shot down.  The league has several committed, long-term GMs; I guess we'll just have to hope that some of the newcomers prove to have the proper amount of commitment as well.

Offline AndyHustle

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2016, 06:43:05 PM »
I know I'm brand new but I am not really sure how beneficial one more wildcard team that gets to play in a play-in game or series would be. Looking over my organization, I know it's going to be a long rebuild and I don't think I would personally make a playoff push and trade prospects just to be in a play-in series.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2016, 11:02:27 AM »
Added $200,000 to the cash reserves of Bogotá and Rio de Janeiro to handle some OOTP issues (players returned during the AI waiver fiasco were still on Rio's 40-man roster).  I had to move players around and that added $200K in expenses when I released them.

Offline Echo127

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2016, 01:50:27 PM »
Added $200,000 to the cash reserves of Bogotá and Rio de Janeiro to handle some OOTP issues (players returned during the AI waiver fiasco were still on Rio's 40-man roster).  I had to move players around and that added $200K in expenses when I released them.
I don't think that $200k was going to hurt me too much, but thanks!

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2016, 06:06:07 PM »
Milwaukee's new owner is moving them to Washington, DC and they will be known as the Washington Senators.

Offline claphamsa

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2016, 07:34:09 PM »
Milwaukee's new owner is moving them to Washington, DC and they will be known as the Washington Senators.

go senators! unless they play Paris

Offline Coop

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2016, 07:57:27 PM »
Now if they can just pick up Walter Johnson and Goose Goslin they'll be all set.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2016, 08:26:40 PM »
Lost a free agent signing for 4 months to injury.  But the Claymores have a reliever that got hit with an 80-game drug suspension on top of his current injury.  Not a star, but still.  Ouch.

Offline Echo127

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2016, 08:46:12 PM »
Lost a free agent signing for 4 months to injury.  But the Claymores have a reliever that got hit with an 80-game drug suspension on top of his current injury.  Not a star, but still.  Ouch.

Didn't you lose you star FA last year right away, too?

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2016, 09:03:18 PM »

Didn't you lose you star FA last year right away, too?
It was a month into the season but yes, and he was also a right fielder just like this year's injured player. This year it was a backup but he was definitely slated for the big league roster.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal