collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 15
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Search

Author Topic: Trade Draft Picks Between Leagues  (Read 2505 times)

Offline APMP

• Team Owner
  • See ball, hit ball, home run.
    • View Profile
Trade Draft Picks Between Leagues
« on: September 11, 2016, 05:35:20 PM »
This will require an amendment to the WBA Constitution, so starting a discussion thread.

My proposed implementation involves the team sending the pick to make a draft selection according to the receiving team's reference during the draft. Or the commish can make the selection. The commish would move the drafted player to the correct rookie roster post-draft. If needed, $1 could change hands if something has to be exchanged from each side.

Example: Mumbai trades Darchiev to Santo Domingo for 2006 1st round draft pick.

Implementation:
Mumbai receives $1 today
SD receives Darchiev today

Mumbai tells SD to draft Mikel Trouts next draft.
SD drafts Trouts.
After draft, Mumbai receives Trouts, SD receives $1.

Mumbai votes FOR this proposed amendment.

Offline Coop

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
Re: Trade Draft Picks Between Leagues
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 06:38:18 PM »
Question:

How would this work if the trade is made before the draft?  To use your example, let's say Mumbai sends Darchiev to Santo Domingo in exchange for Santo Domingo's first-round pick.  However, since Santo Domingo doesn't have the #1 pick in the ABL draft, there's really no way for Mumbai to know exactly what player(s) will be available when Santo Domingo is on the clock in Round 1.  Mumbai might WANT Santo Domingo to draft Mikel Trouts, but somebody else might draft Mikel Trouts before Santo Domingo gets its turn to draft.  So what happens then?

Ideally, I guess the pick could be made with an understanding between the GMs that if Mikel Trouts is available, SD takes him, and if he's not, then the SD GM needs to alert the Mumbai GM for instructions on who to take.  That could be problematic, however; a team is on the clock for only a limited amount of time, so is the SD GM going to be able to contact the Mumbai GM during that brief window of time, and is the Mumbai GM going to have sufficient time to study the list of draftees still available in the ABL draft and make a decision before the clock runs out and the OOTP bot makes the pick?

I realize that I'm muddying the waters by pointing out this stuff, but it's something to consider as we work our way to a decision as to whether these sorts of trades should be allowed, and exactly how they would work.

Offline Coop

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 07:09:16 PM »
To take this another step (sorry), in the scenario described above, would Mumbai have the right (or maybe even the obligation) to declare the trade null and void?  To recap, let's say that Mumbai sends Darchiev to Santo Domingo with the understanding that Santo Domingo will draft Mikel Trouts and send him to Mumbai.  But then some other team takes Trouts.  Does that give Mumbai the right to say, "The deal's off.  I sent you Darchiev and you agreed to send me Trouts.  Now you can't send me Trouts, so no deal.   Send Darchiev back to me."

You know, the easy way around all this would be to have a common draft.  Instead of the ABL having a draft and the IBL having a draft, put all of the players into the same big pool.  Then trading draft picks between ABL and IBL teams would be simple.  But I guess that would make for a long, time-consuming draft.

Offline APMP

• Team Owner
  • See ball, hit ball, home run.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 07:17:43 PM »
Mumbai would name the player that they want when SD is on the clock. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. In the example, Trouts was named by Mumbai at the time SD was on the clock, not before.

Mumbai would need to be aware of when SD is on the clock. And the commish could be a "backstop" to enforce the draft pick trade scenario (i.e., ask Mumbai who they want when SD is on the clock).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 07:19:21 PM by APMP »

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 07:52:51 PM »
I would be in favor of this as it would facilitate trading in the WBA.  Only thing I would make sure of is that the team that has the rights to a draft pick of a team in a different league is responsible for reminding me as the draft gets underway.

Offline claphamsa

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 10:10:23 PM »
I vote no, there is SO much minor league talent (other than on my team) that this really does nothing other than being an admin headache.

Offline Claybor

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 09:11:18 AM »
I don't really have a strong opinion either way, but I do agree with this;

there is SO much minor league talent

Offline Karachi_GM

• Former Owner
  • GM, Karachi Falcons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 10:34:49 AM »
Change OK with me.  So is no change.
Joe
GM, Karachi Falcons

Offline squaredrive

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 10:36:40 AM »
I'm ok with this change - basically defer to Huck as the biggest burden falls on him to administrate it...

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 08:28:56 PM »
I really don't mind it from my end.  It will actually end up more on the shoulders of the team that gets the pick to remember.  I'll probably just write a separate page to try to keep track of them since I can't trade a pick to the other league in the utility.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 08:33:53 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal