collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 20
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Search

Author Topic: Americas League Inaugural Draft  (Read 6992 times)

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Americas League Inaugural Draft
« on: April 16, 2015, 05:17:38 PM »
The WBA will get underway with an inaugural draft for each league.  This thread will cover the Americas League inaugural draft.

The draft will be run using the OOTP OU interface available here.  The utility will keep track of the draft timer and will then produce an export file that I can import into OOTP.  If you have any questions or suggestions (this will be my first OOTP draft...I ran one in StatsLab before) regarding the draft please use this thread.

Please note that we will run 25 rounds of the draft and the rest will be auto-drafted (there are a total of 140 rounds in the draft based on the number of players at each level).  Therefore you should set your draft list for as many rounds as you'd like, otherwise the OOTP OU utility will auto-draft the remainder for you.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 05:23:17 PM by Huckleberry »

Offline CLK

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
Re: Americas League Inaugural Draft
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 05:41:39 PM »
After going to the draft utility and then going to Selections, i don't see my team in the draft order, but i see 2 blank entries. I don't see the Brewers listed there either. Am I missing something?
CLK -- Bogota Condors GM

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 06:24:42 PM »
No, the names get wiped out from my test run when team names are changed.  Once we fill up and the names are finalized the order will change because I will hit GENERATE RANDOM DRAFT ORDER in OOTP one time then put that draft order into the utility.

So basically the order you see now won't be the actual order but your draft lists will be saved. I tested that out by throwing a few guys randomly in my list then regenerating a new order.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 06:47:00 PM by Huckleberry »

L.A. Stars - Mark

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 06:48:29 PM »
so...we're not drafting yet?

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 06:50:59 PM »
Not yet but the players you see in the draft pool are the real players so people that are already in the league can get a jump on their draft lists.

I want to fill the league before we draft but that's based on the rate we've been adding owners.  If necessary we will draft with a couple of AI teams.

L.A. Stars - Mark

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 07:02:32 PM »
ok...thanks
got scared because the utility said I'm on the clock.
:)
if/when you want me to draft, just e-mail me at
mrf4000@gmail.com
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 07:04:12 PM by L.A. Stars - Mark »

Offline rickhindle

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 06:35:17 PM »
Is anyone having issues changing the sorting in the draft utility?  I've tried two different browsers (Chrome and Firefox), and I can only change the default sorting to By Name.

Offline jfuchs31

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 06:47:59 PM »
When I sort I only get about 20 players and scroll down

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 07:13:14 PM »
It is set to show only 30.  That is default, I will change that in a second.

There are some features that don't seem to quite work right unless the draft is underway.  I am looking into it.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 07:20:50 PM »
I updated the headline to indicate that the draft timers will start at noon on Sunday whether or not we fill the last team.  That means everyone has a full day to work on their lists before it starts.  The timer will be for one hour and will run continuously (even at night) so the draft will be a maximum of 10 days or so.  Please remember that we will draft for 25 rounds manually and then the last 115 rounds that are necessary to fill everyone's minor league organizations will be auto-picked by OOTP OU.

Auto-pick is set to medium quality during the manual phase and will be set to highest quality for the auto-pick phase.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 07:42:30 PM »
A hint for viewing all of the players in the draft:

Click on the ABL menu at the top of the screen while in the game.

Player info -> List all ABL Players

From there you can modify the categories shown and what column it is sorted by.  When you have a view you like, click on the Report menu just above the players information area.  Select "Write report to disk" and the table will be sent to your default browser.  From there you can manipulate and format the information however you'd like in Excel or whatever other software you'd like.  And be sure to take advantage of the ability to customize the views so you can get back to the one you like more quickly in the future.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 07:46:07 PM by Huckleberry »

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 11:30:00 AM »
Draft is now live and underway in the utility.  The pick timer will not be enabled until tomorrow at noon central time.

Offline rickhindle

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 04:16:20 PM »
I'm still only able to see 30 or players, and can only sort by name in the utility.  I exported the list of players from inside OOTP, but I can't seem to find the players I want in the utility.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 06:00:12 PM »
Another owner is also having problems with the utility.  I'm looking into it but can't recreate either issue.  Let me work on it a bit.

Are you in any other league running OOTP OU?  Wondering if it's a cache issue or something.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 06:01:56 PM by Huckleberry »

Offline rickhindle

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 07:14:58 PM »
This is the only OOTP league I'm in right now.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 07:27:18 PM »
If you can send me a fully sorted list I think I can make it work with a workaround. I have looked at the lists generated by OOTP OU and can recreate them. I will need the list in order with name and position, so totally up to you.

Essentially it is a text file with one player id per line. However it's a clean text file, meaning Notepad doesn't work. You need Notepad++.

Offline rickhindle

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 08:47:42 PM »
Never mind...I think I figured out my issue. A little browser change, some clearing of data, and now I'm good to go.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 08:49:27 PM by rickhindle »

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 08:53:35 PM »
If we still can't get it figured out we can look at holding the timer off.

If you just have the player names and positions I can get the IDs very quickly.  Or if you're familiar enough with Excel data manipulation you can use this file:

http://www.worldbaseballassociation.com/lgfile/player_ids.csv

I would basically just run a vlookup type formula after verifying that first name, last name, and position match exactly one player in the player_ids file.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 08:54:02 PM »
Never mind...I think I figured out my issue. A little browser change, some clearing of data, and now I'm good to go.

Oh sweet.  Good to hear.  Let me know for sure if you're able to get it working.

Offline rickhindle

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 08:58:27 PM »
I think I added my list, but let me know if you can't see it.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2015, 09:22:50 PM »
It's in there.  Looks like we're good.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2015, 09:24:43 PM »
As pointed out by another owner the player demands are not quite functioning properly (the leagues are imbalanced despite balanced financials).  Therefore the draft budget feature is being turned off and the game should decide player salaries after the draft based on each player's talent and the talent in the league overall.  It is supposed to take into account the average superstar salary, average player salary, etc. that I put into the financials.  On that screen the calculate averages functions says that the average team salary should be $49M and change so we will see after the draft.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2015, 11:10:23 AM »
Okay, well OOTP OU is coded to run the timer from whenever the last pick was made so I had to enter screwy timer length values for the first picks under the timer.  As soon as these picks are made I will have to go back in to change it to 1 hour.  So if I'm not around when these picks are made in the next hour or so then the selections screen may show times due that aren't accurate.  Don't count on those because I will be changing them when I get to the computer.  The following picks will be due one hour after the current pick is made.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 01:44:46 PM »
I imported the results into OOTP and there was only one issue:  The OOTP game software ran the 140th round twice by auto-picking players for most teams.  I am going to release the players in the red box below:

As you can see, Twin Cities did not receive the extra pick so Doug Smith will not be released.

EDIT -   Doug Smith will in fact be released and Millard Lee will be moved from the Empires to the Millers instead of being released.  The OOTP utility shows that as the final pick.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 01:46:47 PM by Huckleberry »

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 02:08:00 PM »
I think I figured out why it happened.  I believe the csv file that the utility creates has a formatting error on the last line.  I'm going to attempt to correct that before importing the IBL results.  After backing up the league, of course.

Offline jfuchs31

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2015, 02:21:45 PM »
Also when the last pick of the draft came up it said I was on the clock with pick due at 3:26, so I picked a player to finish it quicker.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2015, 02:32:45 PM »
Ah, okay.  You may have loaded it when it was in the middle of auto-completing.  I'll keep that in mind.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal