collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 9
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Search

Author Topic: pitching WAR  (Read 1327 times)

Offline squaredrive

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
pitching WAR
« on: June 27, 2017, 03:14:33 PM »
I'm confused how this pitcher (from my team) is leading the ABL in WAR, when i have better performing pitchers on my team alone (Romano):

http://www.worldbaseballassociation.com/reports/news/html/players/player_1367.html

He generally seems to be under-performing his ratings.

Any insights?

Offline CaseyBlakeDeWitt

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
Re: pitching WAR
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 03:22:06 PM »
I think it's probably because OOTP uses a WAR generator more similar to fWAR than bWAR. His peripherals are strong so he has the second-best FIP in the league but with considerably more innings than the FIP leader.

I've never really understood tying WAR to FIP for pitchers since the bottom line in value should be output in the end. Yes, peripherals give a better understanding of how well someone pitched, but the actual value they provided is tied to the runs they did give up, not the runs they should've given up.

Offline Echo127

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 03:28:07 PM »
I'm pretty sure OOTP takes into account players getting screwed by BABIP. And that guy is dealing with a BABIP of .350.

EDIT: Sao Paolo's answer is probably more technically correct. But 9 times out of 10 when I see a weird WAR on one of my pitchers he's got an unusual BABIP.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 03:40:10 PM by Echo127 »

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 03:39:37 PM »
Yep, OOTP pitching WAR is tied to the "three true outcomes" theory via FIP.

There is a happy medium that sabermetrics guys haven't figured out yet, IMO. I agree that production should be some aspect of it, but it's also true that fielding makes a huge difference in that bottom line.

http://www.worldbaseballassociation.com/reports/news/html/leagues/league_100_fielding_report.html

Then you've got things like team ZR and DEF not matching at all.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal