collapse collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 7
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Search

Author Topic: 2099-2100 Offseason Thread  (Read 17223 times)

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
2099-2100 Offseason Thread
« on: April 21, 2015, 05:15:38 PM »
LATEST NEWS AND UPDATES: (5/9 8:57 am)

• Sim through game date 5/10/2100 is complete. Next sim is Sunday 5/10, exports due by 9:00 pm CDT.
  • Most teams are able to export within the game, but for those that can't do so, visit the League Owners Only forum and look for the alternative team export thread.  This has been tested and the file upload is working.
  • I have added two three check pages - one for contractsone for DFA, and one for player positions.  They may take a few seconds to run and load as I'm not the world's most efficient code writer.  We are discussing contracts in the Constitutional Amendments forum.  The player positions need to be corrected, you may play a player out of position but his primary position must be one where he has a rating (so that the game doesn't unduly downgrade his overall rating).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 08:08:15 PM by Huckleberry »

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 2099-2100 Offseason Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 08:04:24 PM »
Obviously this is an abbreviated offseason with some special circumstances so I'll kick this thread off with a few notes regarding the steps moving forward.

• Once the draft is complete I will load a new league file for everyone to download outside of the game and start anew.  After you download the "initial league file" you must access your team with your original password and then "Download Latest League File" from within the game. Please post below if you have any issues.  First troubleshooting step - download this file and overwrite the one in your settings folder. If you still have issues, click here.
  • After the draft OOTP will assign salaries and contracts to your players.  The contract lengths will be fairly short overall; we have a 5-year maximum in the WBA but I think there will be almost no contracts over 3 years long.
  • You will want to IMMEDIATELY re-organize your system as your minors will be basically filled but your major league caliber players will be in your Designated For Assignment area.  However, I noticed something on my team after the ABL draft - there was a player in my DFA area that had only a minor league contract.  So you may want to double check and move those players one at a time to your active or secondary rosters because it's possible that if you simply throw them all on the secondary roster that you will have upgraded a minor league contract to a major league contract.
  • DFA length is 15 days so the first two sims will not require you to take care of the DFA situation and assign your players properly.  However, if you do not have it done by the third sim then I won't be able to continue.  If a team has players still left DFA when I attempt to run the third sim those players will all be placed on the secondary roster.  I will then simply move the lowest salaries to AAA until there are 25 left who will go on the major league roster.  At each minor league level if you are over the roster limit I will simply move the youngest players down, all the way down to Rookie League.  Which means if your best prospect happens to be the youngest guy in your system he is liable to get released at that point.  In actuality that shouldn't happen if you haven't signed anyone in free agency yet because we drafted exactly enough players to fill our rosters.
  • All team budgets will be set to $50,000,000 and you will have $10,000,000 in cash to start as stated in the WBA Constitution.  Note that some teams will already be over budget.  Some will be well under budget to start.
  • There is something going on with the projected budgets that I can't figure out but I will wait until both drafts are finished and the rosters are all loaded to check on.  For some reason OOTP is adding $500,000 to whatever value I put in for every team's projected budget for the next season.  If I can't figure it out then I will simply but $49,500,000 in there to make it work properly.  Every team's projected 2101 budget will be $50,000,000 until the 2100 season ends.  At that point the financials will be updated.  In all years a team's budget for the current season and projected budget for the next season will be equal.
  • As soon as I post the new file trading and free agent claims are open for business.  That's when the league really gets going.
  • The big question - offseason sim schedule.  I specifically stated in the Constitution that the postseason and offseason sim schedules may vary from the regular season one.  I would think that most people would want us to sim more often in the offseason and my initial proposal will be for offseason sims planned for every night with exports due by 9:00 Central.  If anyone would like to have something different than that please post here to that effect and we can discuss.  That being said there will be a two day delay for the first sim after the drafts so everyone has a chance to get to know their organization and move guys around as they'd like.
  • PLEASE READ THIS - It looks like the game gave some crazy contracts.  SEE BELOW FOR POSSIBLE SALARY ADJUSTMENT SOLUTION.

Any questions, comments, or corrections at all just let me know.  Almost everything is up for discussion.

I explained the projected budget situation in a bit more detail on this thread on the OOTP board:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/ootp-16-general-discussions/254308-projected-budgets-rounding-up.html

As you can see, it is giving a little extra room in your projected budget screen and you get more extra room the higher the base value.  Within the WBA this will affect the free agents (year 2+ salaries) and extensions you can offer.  Note, though, that the actual budget value for the next season once the league year changes won't be affected by this rounding up.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 09:09:02 AM by Huckleberry »

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 07:44:19 AM »
Okay, I am changing the process a bit and will need someone to verify that it is working.  I need everyone to download the initial league file and do the setup process again.  Then access your team using the original password, then download the latest league file from within the game.

After that your team's cash should be $10,000,000 and your budget should be $50,000,000.  I need someone to verify that this is or is not working.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 07:53:19 AM »
Please see the first post which is where I will post updates.  I have added #9 to the list, this is important.

Offline CLK

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 07:55:38 AM »
I got a 'Error: could not load file - whatever filename.' message
CLK -- Bogota Condors GM

Offline CLK

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 07:56:46 AM »
I'll try downloading the file one more time and then in game again.
CLK -- Bogota Condors GM

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 07:57:47 AM »
You should probably delete the league from OOTP first and then start the setup process all over.  That may be what everyone needs to do.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 08:01:55 AM »
And guys, please note I am open to discussion on the crazy contracts issue.  If everyone is fine with giving every team the opportunity to lower a certain number of contracts by a certain percentage I can do that, too.  That may even be easier for me than keeping track of the releases.  PLEASE CHIME IN HERE.

As an example, this guy's contract is the first one I noticed:

http://www.worldbaseballassociation.com/reports/news/html/players/player_1643.html

This is the highest paid guy in the entire WBA.  He was a 7th round pick and is a 3-star player.  That is nuts for Seoul to be saddled with that contract.  Thoughts?

Offline CLK

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 08:08:46 AM »
I'm still having the problem of downloading from within the game.

I erased my league folder from within the saved games folder.  I downloaded the inital league setup file. unzipped it into the saved games folder. Started the game and logged in. And the went to Download latest league file and get the same error message. Am I the only one having this problem?
CLK -- Bogota Condors GM

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 08:10:25 AM »
Here is a suggestion for a different one-time rule.

Player salaries (but not contract length because that is a fair luck of the draw type thing) may be adjusted as follows for "overpaid" players after the inaugural draft - a player that has an overall star rating up to the given amount may be lowered to the shown salary:

5 star - $9M
4.5 star - $7.5M
4 star - $6M
3.5 star - $5M
3 star - $4M
2.5 star - $3M
2 star - $1.5M
1.5 star - $1M
1 star - $750K

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 08:10:45 AM »
I'm still having the problem of downloading from within the game.

I erased my league folder from within the saved games folder.  I downloaded the inital league setup file. unzipped it into the saved games folder. Started the game and logged in. And the went to Download latest league file and get the same error message. Am I the only one having this problem?

Lemme check on that.  Can you post here exactly what filename it says it's trying to download?

Offline CLK

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 08:14:12 AM »
"Error: could not load file http;//www.worldbaseballassociation.com/lgfile/wba.tar.gz"
CLK -- Bogota Condors GM

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 08:22:46 AM »
I actually just got the same error from my home computer.  According to this thread it may at least partially be firewall issues.  I may need to change this to be FTP downloads.  Let me test something and I'll report back.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 08:28:48 AM »
Okay, got it to work off an FTP basis.

Download this file and overwrite the one in your settings folder.  Then try to download again and let me know.

Offline CLK

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 08:38:44 AM »
It looked like it attempted to download the file, but never got past 0% and then the message 'Error: Could not download file' appeared.
CLK -- Bogota Condors GM

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 08:40:00 AM »
Damn.  I will look at it again, but once the settings were changed to FTP I was able to download it even after getting the same error the first time.  Let me look around a bit and see if I can find anything else.

Did you already install the patch?

Offline CLK

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 08:41:41 AM »
Thanks for the help. I'll be back in a coupe hours. need to get a little sleep.
CLK -- Bogota Condors GM

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 08:45:14 AM »
Okay, I will wait to hear from others on if they are able to get it loaded using all the steps on this thread (and at which point it works).

Offline Paris_Rich

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 09:12:30 AM »
I'm getting the same error message as CLK.
WBA
Paris GM
Paris_Rich

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2015, 09:13:59 AM »
After the new accountsdata_gms.dat file?  Just trying to make sure we're all on the same page.

1. Have you installed the patch?
2. Did you download and paste in the new accountsdata_gms.dat file?
3. Which error are you getting - "Error: could not load file" or "Error: could not download file"?

Offline Paris_Rich

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2015, 09:18:12 AM »
1. New patch installed
2. I dragged the accountsdata_gms.dat file into the league folder
3. I get the "could not load file" message.
WBA
Paris GM
Paris_Rich

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 09:21:05 AM »
Into the league folder or the settings folder?  Just trying to make absolutely sure of everything.  Hopefully I can get this figured out by tonight but if not I will need to make a detailed bug report/tech ticket for the OOTP guys.

Offline Paris_Rich

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2015, 09:22:12 AM »
Into the league folder.
WBA
Paris GM
Paris_Rich

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2015, 09:24:55 AM »
Okay, that file goes in the World Baseball Association.lg/settings/ folder.  Let me know if it works. Make sure it overwrites the existing accountsdata_gms.dat file and doesn't keep a copy of both.

*crosses fingers and really hopes it works*

Offline Paris_Rich

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2015, 09:40:44 AM »
Same result with the "could not load" message.

the acccountsdata_gms.dat file over wrote the existing file in the .lg/settings folder.

WBA
Paris GM
Paris_Rich

Offline Paris_Rich

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2015, 09:43:09 AM »
Interestingly, when I put in my password I typed the password I had changed the original one: not the one you sent originally.
WBA
Paris GM
Paris_Rich

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2015, 09:46:05 AM »
Okay, this is starting to suck something fierce.  I'm behind the eight ball trying to address this from the office so I'll probably only be able to take a good look later today.  I may be forced to upload an entirely new overall file with the settings and start from there.

Is there any particular time that either of y'all will be available to do some testing on this?

Offline Paris_Rich

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2015, 09:50:57 AM »
Understand. I'm not going anywhere today, so I'll be around to help. Approximately, what time?
WBA
Paris GM
Paris_Rich

Offline maxprime

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2015, 09:57:19 AM »
followed the instructions and worked perfect

Offline Paris_Rich

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2015, 10:00:38 AM »
Interesting, Max. Indicates it may be human error on my part.
WBA
Paris GM
Paris_Rich

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2015, 10:01:09 AM »
followed the instructions and worked perfect

Okay, may have some firewall situations going on.  Did you download and paste the new accountsdata_gms.dat file?  Just trying to understand what process is working for some and not others.

Offline maxprime

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2015, 10:02:21 AM »
as for the editing of contracts, i dont like 1 time deals on things like this. we all new the financial parameters and if you drafted to many star players well you should have thought about that during the draft not wait till after then have contracts edited to fit your team

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2015, 10:03:02 AM »
Interesting, Max. Indicates it may be human error on my part.

Sent you a PM here on the forum with a new link to test out.  If this one works for you then we will have a backup plan for owners that are having issues.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2015, 10:04:25 AM »
as for the editing of contracts, i dont like 1 time deals on things like this. we all new the financial parameters and if you drafted to many star players well you should have thought about that during the draft not wait till after then have contracts edited to fit your team

I would agree in principle but the example player, as you can see, is a three-star regular joe that was drafted in the 7th round and is now the highest paid player in the WBA.  I will handle this any way that we can all agree on but there are quite a few players where the OOTP contract assignment logic seems to have gone haywire.

Offline maxprime

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2015, 10:04:42 AM »
my accounts data originally waent into the settings folder with a (1) at the end because i already had one in the download folder i had to erase the (1) for it to work

Offline maxprime

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2015, 10:07:20 AM »
my accounts data originally waent into the settings folder with a (1) at the end because i already had one in the download folder i had to erase the (1) for it to work
Fair enough i havent seen any examples just dont wanna see guys who drafted above their means being given free passes

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2015, 10:21:30 AM »
I agree. I think the scale I posted keeps that reasonable, it's not like a 4 or 5 star will get to have his salary dropped to $3M.  When you have time take a look at some team salary reports and see if you think this is a good idea after all.  I have no problem with a dissenting opinion, that's why we're discussing it.  Here are some of the examples I saw that caused the concern:

http://www.worldbaseballassociation.com/reports/news/html/players/player_1643.html
http://www.worldbaseballassociation.com/reports/news/html/players/player_1691.html
http://www.worldbaseballassociation.com/reports/news/html/players/player_1854.html
http://www.worldbaseballassociation.com/reports/news/html/players/player_1743.html
http://www.worldbaseballassociation.com/reports/news/html/players/player_1748.html
http://www.worldbaseballassociation.com/reports/news/html/players/player_1712.html

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2015, 10:44:30 AM »
***THIS POST IS ONLY FOR THOSE WHO ARE UNABLE TO LOAD USING THE INSTRUCTIONS IN #1 IN THE OP OF THIS THREAD***

I need you to delete the WBA in its entirety from your system, then install from here (different file name so make sure the lg folder is called "World Baseball Association.lg" when it extracts):

New Overall League File

This file will have all the files already in it so once that is in your saved_games folder just fire up the game and try to download from in the game again.  Thanks and let me know if it works or if it unfortunately does not just send me the full error message.

Offline Mombasa

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2015, 01:34:59 PM »
Mine says error can not download file

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2015, 01:36:16 PM »
Mine says error can not download file

Which steps have you taken?  That error seems to be based a lot on firewalls, virus protection, etc.

The new overall file above includes the new accountsdata_gms.dat file that prompts the game to access the league file via FTP.

Offline Mombasa

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2015, 01:41:38 PM »
yea i did the new file twice when I try to up load I get error 202

Offline Mombasa

• Former Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2015, 01:51:05 PM »
my other league loads and exports fine

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2015, 01:59:58 PM »
So you used the new overall file from a few posts up (after erasing the league completely)?  And you're having an error on download or upload?

From this thread it sounds like the 202 error is on upload and was solved by allowing OOTP to access FTP through the firewall.  Let me know.

Hmm...just saw that your other leagues work but it's also possible that your old accountsdata_gms.dat file is still in there.  I'm flummoxed on your issue with the upload.  Double check that accountsdata_gms file.

We'll eventually get to a sweet spot that works for the entire league.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 02:07:00 PM by Huckleberry »

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2015, 02:10:35 PM »
CLK just got it to work after turning off his firewall to do the downloading/uploading even though OOTP already had access through the firewall.  As I told him, it's entirely possible that your firewall software may not like the league site because it doesn't know it yet.  The domain was registered just last week.  Let me know if you get anything to work.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2015, 03:11:51 PM »
Okay, it looks like Los Angeles and Mombasa are still having issues, although LA's attempt looks like it was a couple of days ago.  That's based on their team export files in the folder online both having a zero file size.  Keep me posted, guys.

Offline sumhzrd

• Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2015, 04:42:10 PM »
Fair enough i havent seen any examples just dont wanna see guys who drafted above their means being given free passes

With just the knowledge that a $50 M salary cap would be in effect after the draft, How exactly are guys to have know that they were "drafting above their means", while still reasonably pursuing the objective of drafting as good a team as possible.  It would be one thing if we could see players contract expectations at the time of the draft, or if we had a rule of thumb, like the one time rule that Huck proposed, in advance of the draft.  But in the absence of any clues about the specific financial implications of drafting any particular player, how can anybody be guilty of drafting beyond their means?

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2015, 05:33:20 PM »
Due to the custom financials in the league, the teams that drafted more immediately better players should make more money this season so I don't want to lower their salaries too much.  I still feel that the table I posted above is a good compromise.  If there are no arguments directly against it we can start implementing it.  However, I'm not going to go looking for every player.  The owners have to post on this thread the name of the player, his star rating, and therefore what his lowered salary should be.

Offline APMP

• Team Owner
  • See ball, hit ball, home run.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2015, 05:42:50 PM »
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree that something needs to be done regarding the contracts.  It's hard to say anybody drafted "above their means," given that the demands were turned off and it was assumed that OOTP would set every team's collectively year 2100 salary to roughly the same amount (just under $ 50 million).

I had also assumed that everybody would have the 5-year rookie contracts, but to be honest it's not as big an issue, since it's a luck of the draw thing and we've all been affected.  Some of us have our first-round pick in impending free agency, which obviously sucks because I'm sure it was assumed the player would be a long-term building block.  (For me personally, half my major league roster is on a one-year deal, and I largely stayed away from prospects and assumed I would get 5 solid years from my veteran draft picks...though I may not have understood the contract rules, so that's on me)

Having a handful of teams having opening day payrolls at $75 million does seem a bit much though, so there should be someway to not have staring down the barrel of such a big deficit on opening day.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 05:51:09 PM by APMP »

Offline APMP

• Team Owner
  • See ball, hit ball, home run.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2015, 05:47:22 PM »
Here is a suggestion for a different one-time rule.

Player salaries (but not contract length because that is a fair luck of the draw type thing) may be adjusted as follows for "overpaid" players after the inaugural draft - a player that has an overall star rating up to the given amount may be lowered to the shown salary:

5 star - $9M
4.5 star - $7.5M
4 star - $6M
3.5 star - $5M
3 star - $4M
2.5 star - $3M
2 star - $1.5M
1.5 star - $1M
1 star - $750K

Huck, if we go with this, how would it apply to multi-year contracts that may not exceed the value in the table this year, but will be exceeding it in future years.  Or vice versa in the case of a front-loaded contract?  I guess a related question would be whether a salary adjustment in line with the above chart would apply uniformly across all years (and remove any frontloadedness or backloadedness of a contract).

Sucks that you've had to deal with issue upon issue by the way.  Thanks for setting this up though, I'm sure this is going to be fun once everything gets sorted out.

Offline Huckleberry

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2015, 06:02:11 PM »
I would lower any years of the contract that are above that amount to that amount.  And remember that OOTP may have stuck us with some but we're not allowed to frontload contracts (every year has to be at least as high a salary as the year before it but no more than 10% higher).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal